Monday, January 15, 2007

How can we be the light of the world?

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

How many times have you heard the idea that we are called to "the light of the world"? How many times have you heard it used in terms of the workplace, i.e. "I'm just trying to be a light at the workplace"?

I generally don't like it when people say things like this. There are a few reasons:
  • Jesus is talking to a group of people. He is not addressing one person.
  • He references a city, which, to me, signifies a way of life, a system of smaller parts working together for a greater cause.
First, I think that we need to recognize that I am not the light of the world, and YOU are not the light of the world, but rather WE are the light of the world. It is in this WE-ness that the light of the world is actually shown to men. Second, and connected to the first point, is that Jesus' reference to a 'city' is not to be taken as just a good metaphor. I think we need to be thinking of the Kingdom of God, the city in the Book of Revelation that descends from heaven to earth. And, like I said, a city is a place where people INTERACT with each other and have a certain way of life.

So what's my point? Well, we are called to be the 'light of the world.' And we are called to be 'light' in the workplace. But we cannot do that alone because one man does not make a city. So being the 'light' implies doing life with other Christians in a way that can be displayed for all to see. And the city we are is a city that lives under the rule of God. So at work, are you in relationships that display who God is? Relationships that show care for each other, involvement in each other's lives, sacrificial living on behalf of each other? Relationships that, like the city of God, are under God's rule and care that allow us to point to something greater than ourselves?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just need to be friendly with people. Compliment people about things. Be high in praise and low in criticizing people. Or better ..DON'T CRITICISE AT ALL. Even if you know you are right and the other person is wrong. It won't help if you make that person feel bad about them self. People love themselves, if you make them feel important they like you. You have to be sincere though. People will know if you compliment them on something you don't really mean. And always remember, be humble, like Jesus was. Always look for opportunities where you can help people. Sometimes someone just need an ear to listen. They just want to feel important enough that someone actually takes the time to listen to their problems or perhaps something exciting that happened in their lives that they want to share with someone

Regards
George

January 16, 2007 2:18 AM  
Blogger alex said...

This is a beautiful way to unpack "light of the world". We probably can all agree how hard it is to be a light on our own. I am miserable at it. It is only when I am able to invite people into my life (and I mean my real life, with the relationships that are messy, and the junk I try to hide) that WE (community) are able to be any sort of light at all.

But more lately I have come to see just how hard it is to continue to live the truths we know and believe in the absence of like minded people to encourage us. Truly as we mature, our lives line up less and less with cultural norms. Yes, I need Christ every day, but I also deeply need people who care enough to encourage me when I feel so very out of place.

January 16, 2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I have three random thoughts about this question that together might make sense...and might not:

1) I was struck by a simple but profound Truth this weekend. Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Revelation 21:23 says "And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb." I regularly implore God to shine a light on my path but the Bible says Jesus is the lamp. I must draw close to Him and only then will my path be illuminated...but that's not the point. Communion with Jesus is.

2) John 8:12 says "I (Jesus) am the light of the world." Matthew 5:14 says "You (us) are the light of the world." I think it's safe to say we can never shine beyond what we reflect from the True Light. And one man shining reflected light is not going to push back the darkness alone. You know on Christmas Eve when the one candle's light spreads around and everyone holds their lights up and it fills the room? I want something like that.

3) But I often only search for other candle-holders at church. At work, I find myself often so frustrated by The Man that I forget other Christians are fighting the same struggle right next to me...lights under our personalized bushels.

January 17, 2007 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Robby Grabow again ...

George, while I appreciate the heart of your comment, I don't know that not Criticising is the best solution to us in being lights to the world. We worship the same savor who also knew when to stand up and fight ... (i.e. uprooting commerce at the temple, calling Peter "Satan", and using extremely harsh words with the religious leaders of his day such as "brood of vipors"). I am quite sure those people felt bad about themselves upon the Savior's more stern repremands yet Christ utilized the approach sinlessly.

January 17, 2007 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want so badly to tell yall about the wonderful things God is doing here in austin yet i rarely have a chance to sit down in front of a computer. i have been listening to some lectures from a Rabbi named Ray Vander Laan and my world has been rocked by it. it's amaizing how the Holy Spirit can even speak through a mp3 player. he went to rabbi school in israel and graduated a Christian. but as for me God has been showing me how to apply what i am learning in everyday life. one thing i have known for a while is that in hebrew there is no symbol for an "!", so instead they repeat things to make a point. the Lord talks this way to us to simplify His plan for our puny minds.

January 23, 2007 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home